Thursday

New Office = New Woman?

I'm wiping the last of the dust from my brow as I settle in from this week's move. At long last, I have finally been granted a "real" office at work. And the feeling couldn't be sweeter.

Yes, I shall miss my old cube. It was very cozy. Some might call it small; but I like to think that it was quaint. It was also conveniently located near the bathroom, which means I always had visitors. With so much traffic around, I also had to share my desk (people frequently "borrowed" my stapler, paperclips, pens, and whatnot). Being located near the departmental mailboxes means that I was always first to get my mail. Being located right next to the copier machine, on the other hand, turned out to be a two edged sword. No, I didn't have to walk very far to make my copies. But I also got to listen to everyone else making THEIRS.

So, it's different. Having an Office.
  • I have a door, which I can close on a whim.
  • I have windows (two), from which I can glimpse crabapple blossoms in the spring, and snow in the dead of winter (oh yes! And I can OPEN them!! Bonus!).
  • I have a Very Nice desk (grey metal/cherry vaneer), which I can clutter up with work.
  • Incidently, I also have my very own fax machine. So I never have to walk down the hall to send a fax again... I think that's probably a perk, although these days I don't send many faxes.
I was sitting here today, thinking about how weird it is that I could shut the world OUT of my office for a while, and actually get work done. It's amazing, the difference that a door makes.

No comments: