Friday

Back in Business!

We are the proud owners of a newly INSTALLED (this is an important detail) Wishwasher! I am SO excited to wash my first load of wishes, I can hardly stand it.

To be fair, it's not that I didn't enjoy a bit of dishwashing over the past week. I've always found the process of washing dishes to be somewhat meditative. Warm/hot water is involved. It requires repetitive activity. And it can be done while having a nice conversation or listening to music (two things that make just about any activity better).

No, it's not that I can't appreciate the manual labor aspect. But I can appreciate a number of things about having a dishwasher.
  1. One big perk about a dishwasher is that, when used correctly, it can actually save on water usage. Our new dishwasher has a lovely food grinder, so we'll save time and water by NOT rinsing our dishes too!
  2. I can genuinely appreciate being able to "put away" my dirty dishes in a place where people don't have to look at them.
  3. Being a gal with fairly scant counterspace, I value being able to use the space that was previously inhabited by dirty dishes.
  4. I can use all that time that I would normally spend washing dishes doing other activities.

So -- that's the big news for today. Now that the dishwasher business is out of the way -- what is on tap for Peef and Lo this weekend?

Well, tonight our friends Rebeccca & Michelle are coming over to our house for dinner. We'll be enjoying some of the fabulous Copper River King Salmon that Paul brought back from his trip to Seattle earlier this summer. I'll probably make mashed potatoes and creamed spinach to go alongside (hey, it's Friday!). R&M are bringing beer and vanilla icecream, as we're planning to try out some beer floats for dessert. Sound gross? Don't be too quick to judge!! I'll plan on posting a review over on the BURP! side of things after we've tested them.

I'm not sure what's on the docket for Saturday, although we'll most certainly be visiting a local farmer's market or two to see what's looking particularly delectable in the veggie department. Our CSA box this week contains some pretty interesting items -- about four ears sweet corn, 3 lb new potatoes, Swiss chard, broccoli, green leaf lettuce, kohlrabi, celery, Walla Walla onion, green bell pepper, cucumber. But we always like to supplement with whatever is new and fresh. I must admit, I'm very excited that corn is back in season. It's one of my favorite things about summer!

Mmm. The thought of all that farm fresh goodness is making me drool. Must be time for lunch!

1 comment:

Grouchy said...

Congratulations on your dishwasher! I imagine it's a very welcome addition to your kitchen, even though you were getting into washing dishes by hand. I took over dishwashing duty recently and have to agree, it is very meditative and satisfying. I also love it when rogue dishsoap bubbles escape the bottle and float into the air.