Sunday

Italian Nachos and Other Random Tidbits

Peef will arrive here in Milwaukee in less than two hours.

While I've missed him (this house starts to feel incredibly large and vacuous without him), I have to admit that I had an enormously enjoyable weekend. Despite the fact that it was uber cold (-2ºF when I got up yesterday, and about 5ºF without the wind-chill factor today), it has been filled with friends, frivolty, and food. And what could be better than that?
  1. First of all - I got to have dinner with two of my favorite people, Rena and Steph.
  2. Secondly, I got some reading done.
  3. Thirdly, I got to indulge in one of my favorite foods (a potpie).
  4. Above all, I managed to relax and enjoy my time alone.
Rena and I ventured off to Libiamo on Friday for bruschetta, pasta, and a lovely bottle of our favorite Valpolicella Ripasso. We sat in our usual booth and chatted for hours before heading home.

On Saturday, I nearly finished "Kite Runner" (Hosseini), I created a lovely Thai noodle bowl for lunch, and then I proceeded to spend the remainder of the day shopping with Steph. Shopping is a fairly rare pastime for the two of us, but we had a great time. After trying on hundreds of pairs of shoes (there was a clearance sale at Boston Store) and purchasing a few new items, we were exhausted. So, we retired to Joey Buona's for a platter of (evil, but good) Italian nachos. After a long day of shopping, there's nothing quite like a plate of "pasta chips" loaded with alfredo sauce, melted mozzarella cheese, Italian sausage, kalamata olives, diced tomatoes and pepperoncini. Incidentally, we also ordered bowls of lasagne soup, which sounded fabulous but which we couldn't eat because the nachos were TOO HUGE (we took both bowls home for leftovers).

Today, while I could have been vacuuming, I hunkered down with a few cooking magazines and watched a bit of PBS. I ate a potpie for lunch, after which I did manage to load the dishwasher full of dishes from the weekend. So, I feel pretty good about myself.

No comments: